Tuesday, September 27, 2005

An Invisible Backpack (With Apologies to Peggy McIntosh)


When I first went to the Learning Exchange, I carried with me a backpack of invisible assumptions and stereotypes. As I got to know the patrons, and heard their stories, my backpack grew lighter and lighter. These weren't unintelligent folks - they had university degrees, lengthy careers, and more insights on world politics than I would ever have. But for one reason or another, they'd ended up in "Vancouver's ghetto" (as one patron put it).

So how did they get there?

Perhaps for some, it was through some fault of their own - and perhaps for others, it was the result of bad advice, bad choices, or bad policies.

But 8 months hasn't given me the answer to that question. 8 years might not be enough to learn the answer.

But my backpack has gotten lighter.

And I move through the world with less assumptions about people's backgrounds - and less barriers between me and other human beings.

I've seen other people's backpacks too. Some are heavier, and some are lighter (and I wonder what experiences have caused this difference in weight for them). I've seen their backpacks manifested in bold statements on "those junkies, dealers and drunkards at Main and Hastings". I've seen their backpacks keep them from ever venturing to the DTES, mentally carving out a swath of Vancouver as a barricaded no-go zone.

I haven't figured out how to cure the ills that plague the DTES.

But if I can decrease the load of at least one person's backpack...

...well, maybe that's a start.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the no-go zone is bounded on the north by Cordova Street, Pender Street in the south, Cambie Street to the west and Princess Avenue to the east.

Oh wait, that's the no-go area for participants in the Drug Treatment Court Vancouver in order to keep them away from the drug dealers and the temptation of drugs in the DTES.....

:p

I encourage everyone I know to visit the DTES. The more people are aware of its existence, the more people are aware of the problems, the better we will be to try to fix things. In fact, I think I tend to "accidentally" drive through the DTES when I give people rides - especially out of town visitors - just for the hell of making people more aware of our society's ills.

I was afraid of Main & Hastings at one point in my life. But I think walking from my office to my car at 9pm, 10pm, past midnight even, that cured me of any fear of the DTES. Personally I feel safer in the DTES than along the Granville strip after dark, for many different reasons.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home