Wednesday, July 13, 2005

returning to richmond

I suppose it's only "returning to Richmond" if you've been there before - or if like me, you grew up there.

Like Rosalyn, I can remember the rolling farmlands of Richmond (i.e. the ALR, or Agricultural Land Reserve). There was a great farmers' market on Steveston Highway, across the street from my piano teacher's neighbourhood. Many a piano lesson ended with my mom and I buying bok choy from the proprietors...

I also remember arriving in Richmond at Diefenbaker Elementary for grade 1 to find that I was one of 3 non-white kids. This, after my first 5 years of life in Coquitlam, where I was one of 5 non-white kids in my kindergarten class. I believe I was unimpressed when my 1st grade teacher tried to have me placed in the ESL stream upon her first sighting - this after being told that I was reading (English, that is) far above my grade level in kindergarten!

How things have changed.

So we wandered around this "new Chinatown" for a few hours today. Joyce has quite the detailed account of our day.

(I've started to post my photos at Henry's group Flickr page, since I've reached my upload limit for the month).

Learned all about negligence and tort law from Leon Lam at Pacific Plaza. Here's a taste of his legal difficulties.

In other legal news, the bootleg guy at Admiralty Centre was arrested last night.

Rosalyn theorizes about the significance of Richmond.

Yesterday's Vancouver Vocabulary: Counterflow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home